Research In Motion today launched BlackBerry Messenger version 7, a free update for the globally popular mobile text service. A key new feature of the update will allow customers to make free voice calls to their BBM contacts around the world over a Wi-Fi connection. Hit jump for the full feature set.
What else is new in BBM 7 with BBM Voice?
· Multi-tasking with Split-screen feature – Customers can do more while they talk, such as check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call. They can start a call in an instant, and switch between texting and talking, or text and talk at the same time. They can also for example, send a picture to a contact while they are talking with them.
· Clear Visual Indicator – Customers can see when contacts are available for a voice call.
· Convenient Compatibility with Accessories – Customers can use their favorite accessories, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset, or use the BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
· 16 New Emoticons – Available in the final software released today, customers will see a slate of new emoticons offer them fresh, fun ways to express themselves in text chats.
· Direct BBM Update Notification – BBM will now notify a customer when there is an update from within the app, and allow them to download it immediately from inside the app.
· Simple BlackBerry ID Synchronization – A customer’s BBM profile, Groups and Contacts are now linked to their BBID for easy backup and restore. The data will also carry over when they move to BlackBerry 10.
BBM 7 with BBM Voice is now available for all BlackBerry smartphones running the BlackBerry 6 OS or higher. BBM Voice will also be available for BlackBerry OS 5 early next year. The BBM 7 software update can be downloaded for free at appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/3729/.