Perhaps too little, too late but it’s still a welcome addition, nonetheless. Sony PlayStation Network users can now enable two-factor authentication for your accounts. You can get full details about how to activate the feature here. Those who opt to do so (which we highly recommend you do) will receive codes via SMS that you need to input alongside your password and username before you can sign in. While two-factor authentication might not be hack-proof, it’s still an added security that we welcome.
Facebook is tweaking the way its Trending Topics feature is curated. After coming under fire for supposed bias of certain political stories from the US, the social media company has opted to not let their editors write headlines or summaries for the articles that make the list. While editors still vet the list, Facebook will rely heavily on the algorithm that culls the articles, which is based on how often users post or share certain stories. What you’ll be seeing this time is comments from the users and excerpt from the actual article.
Facebook’s post on these changes also shows their reaction regarding the alleged bias the company has: “Earlier this year, we shared more information about Trending in response to questions about alleged political bias in the product. We looked into these claims and found no evidence of systematic bias. Still, making these changes to the product allows our team to make fewer individual decisions about topics. Facebook is a platform for all ideas, and we’re committed to maintaining Trending as a way for people to access a breadth of ideas and commentary about a variety of topics.”
Apple has added 'Apps et jeux en français' to tis Canadian App Store to highlight Canadian-made apps and content with specific curated lists of apps that best represent this genre of Canadian contant.
- Apps créées au Québec (Apps Made in Quebec)
- Préparez la rentrée (Get Ready for School) including apps for teachers and older students (productivity, organization, note taking etc.)
- De nouveaux lieux à explorer (Go Somewhere New): collections of apps including Explore Western Canada, Explore Eastern Canada, Explore Atlantic Canada, as well as excellent apps to help plan your trips to new places (including Airbnb, Packing Pro, KAYAK, Turo, and more)
- Apps et jeux pour la longue fin de semaine (Apps and Games for the Long Weekend)
- Jeux créés à Montréal (Games Created in Montreal)